The Mouse Doctor
Quick tips for preparing your house for sale from online estate agent mousesale:
When preparing your house for sale your aim must be to appeal to as many prospective purchasers as possible. I'm sure the perfect house in the perfect location does exist, however most of us will have to do with making the best of what we've got.
We all love our own homes but when selling what is needed is a different perspective. Ask an honest friend to cast a critical eye over your house or visit the show house in a local new housing development to see how the professionals do it. Or you could just call the Mouse Doctor in!
Front Of House
- First impressions really do count! The importance of 'kerb appeal'' cannot be emphasised enough.
- Give the front of the house a facelift: clean windows, touch up exterior paintwork, repaint front door etc.
- Tidy front garden: mow lawn, trim hedges, remove weeds, and mend fences.
- De-Clutter: remove any rubbish, dustbins, children's toys or bikes from view.
- Invest in some pot plants or window boxes.
Your aim is to create a light, inviting living space. You can achieve this by the following these rules:
- Deep clean; De-clutter: De-personalise (remove photo's etc. as people want to picture themselves in your house!).
- Invest in a neutral colour scheme.
- Remove any tatty or unsightly carpets.
- Make the most of any original or interesting features or views.
- Do invest in 'window dressing' - new fluffy towels, throws and cushions to disguise tatty sofas. Buy new utensils to update a kitchen. (All these things can be taken with you when you move).
- It's up to you to decide how much you want to spend on revamping your home but it is important to remember that good kitchens and bathrooms sell houses.
- In large rooms, clearly define zones, for example separate areas for relaxing, eating.
- Remove any trace of your pets. I love my black Labrador, but I'm sure his hair on the carpet or aroma after a walk in the rain would not appeal to every prospective purchaser!
Garden & Outside Living Spaces
TV house doctors and homestagers have got a lot to answer for! Today we expect so much more from our gardens. Long gone are the days of a patch of grass with a border as the norm. A well thought out garden can be seen as an extension of the house. All the rules for 'front of the house' still apply but try to create an atmosphere for relaxation.
Replace or repair fencing to ensure privacy and exploit roof terraces or patio areas even if you have never used them. It's also a good idea to install outside lighting and invest in or re-vamp patio furniture.
Remember that time and effort (and a little money) spent on preparing your house for sale can make the difference between a quick sale at your asking price or a frustrating lowering of expectations to eventually achieve a sale.
The Mouse Doctor
I have over 10 years experience in Interior Design. Assuming you are based nearby (East Anglia), I may be able to personally visit your home and prepare a full written report on what you need to do to attract the all-important purchaser. If you are further afield, we will find one of our local partners to assist you. Not only could we possibly help you sell your home more quickly, it may even be for a higher price. Please contact me for further information.
Low cost online conveyancing
Comprehensive service provided by solicitors
Property to Let?
Let your property from just £150 including rightmove advertising!
How much is your house worth?
Get a FREE online valuation of your home today!
"I would have no hesitation in recommending Brentwood mousesale to anyone looking to buy or sell. The quality of service far exceeded my previous experiences of using high street estate agents."S Tanweer, Essex